TNT NBA analyst Charles Barkley joined the show to talk about the big stories around the league and more. Here are some of his takes:
– Barkley analyzed the Carmelon Anthony to Lakers rumors. “You can’t give up [Andrew] Bynum and [Ron] Artest unless Carmelo signs an extension,” Barkley said.
Barkley said he’s a bit disappointed in Bynum. “I thought he’d be a much better player by now. … At some point you have to be more than just potential,” Barkley said.
Still, Barkley said that Bynum is pretty good if he’s the fourth best player on the team. “If the Lakers trade Bynum, I don’t think they win it,” Barkley said.
– Barkley said that Blake Griffin has been great, but he needs to develop. “It’s not going to last,” Barkley said. “Because at some point, he’s going to have to learn how to play.”
Here’s how Barkley would defend him: “Back off him and don’t let him dunk.” He said Griffin needs a 15-foot jump shot.
– Barkley is also impressed with Timberwolves big man Kevin Love. “You can fake it on offense,” Barkley said. “But if you’re getting 15 rebounds a night, that’s very impressive.”
– Barkley said that the 76ers and other bad teams should tank. “Why in the world do you want to be the seventh or eighth seed, get swept in the playoffs and let other teams get the best chance in the lottery,” Barkley said.
– Barkley said that Alex Rodriguez shouldn’t have been upset that the FOX cameras picked up Cameron Diaz feeding him popcorn.
“That was no big deal,” Barkley said. “A-Rod has to realize people don’t like him because he’s a great baseball player and he makes a lot of money. … You just realize they’re idiots. They’re jealous. And then you go on to the next thing. … A-Rod’s a great guy. He shouldn’t take that seriously.”