NFL Network's Mike Mayock joined the show to talk about the upcoming Scouting Combine. Here are some of his takes:
– Teams don't care about accuracy when quarterbacks throw at the Scouting Combine. They just want to see if the QB has the guts to throw in Indy and how the ball gets out of his hands. Cam Newton threw poorly at the Combine and still went No. 1 overall in 2011.
– Mayock gave Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel a mixed review. "I don't think he's a Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson run guy," Mayock said. He said that Manuel's decision-making and technique aren't great and said he could go in the third round.
– Mayock said Alabama's Eddie Lacy will be the only first-round running back.
– Mayock hasn't studied Johnny Manziel yet, but said he's seen some interesting things. "The kid's special," Mayock said. "He's got a feel for the game. He's Doug Flutie. He's Russell Wilson."
– Mayock said the new NFL aptitude test is a "cross-check" or for red flags to see if there's something they should look into more.